By knowing what some of these common issues are, you can take proactive steps to prevent them.
Every homeowner knows that they will experience an issue with their heater eventually. Even if you have your system inspected and maintained annually, your furnace is a piece of equipment that may need to be repaired at some point.
Many people call furnace repair experts during cold winter months because of a problem with their heating system. By knowing what some of these common issues are, you can take proactive steps to prevent them.
Common Furnace Problems
Your furnace may need repairs or replacing for many different reasons. From a broken thermostat to replacing the filters, keeping your heater running doesn’t need to be a mystery. Here are some of the problems you may face this winter:
- Pilot control or electric ignition issues – A faulty pilot or ignition can make it difficult to heat your home. Drafts, clogs, or thermocouple problems in the appliance may result in an unlit pilot light.
- Malfunctioning thermostat – A faulty thermostat can lead to issues with the fan and comfort levels.
- Furnace not heating at all – If you turn on your heater and the air is blowing, but it’s not warm, there may be issues with the power, gas, pilot lights, or thermostat.
- Frequent cycling – If your system is cycling between the on and off modes, it may indicate a clogged filter, bad airflow, or a faulty thermostat.
- The furnace doesn’t heat enough – If the filter is clogged or if it’s the wrong size, your furnace may not produce enough heat.
- The blower continuously runs – A problem with the bower may indicate an issue with the limit switch, which may need to be replaced.
- The furnace is too noisy – Squeaking, rumbling, and rattling noises are not normal. These sounds may mean there’s a mechanical problem, airflow reductions, or a clogged burner.
Advice for Furnace Repairs
If you are experiencing one of these issues, you can try a few things before calling in the HVAC professionals. First, check your air filters. They may simply need to be changed. While it’s suggested that you change them every 3 months, many factors can make it necessary to change them more often. If you have one or more pets, or if you’ve had a lot of traffic through your house, you may need to change them every other month.
Another thing you can do is check your thermostat. Something as simple as needing new batteries can do the trick. If you’re still having issues, the problem is likely more serious, and you need to call in professionals.
St. Louis HVAC Repairs
If you have tried troubleshooting your furnace but it doesn’t solve your problem, contact an experienced HVAC contractor. Thomas Hoffmann Air Conditioning & Heating LLC is one of the few heating and air conditioning companies in St. Louis that has a master technician and mechanical engineer as an owner. This fact, combined with our more than 30 years of experience gives us an advantage over our competition. We will service all types and repair all brands of furnaces. If you need a new system, trust us to help you determine which one will best fit your needs.
24/7 SERVICE. FIVE STAR REVIEWS. 30 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE.